First Tuesday of the Month
Venue: Philatelic Society Rooms, 67 Mandeville Street
Parking is on the street.
There could be:
- Show and tell
- Guest speakers
- Demo of new techniques and equipment
- Sales Table
Sit and Sew at Hohepa
Sit and Sew
Date: 14th March 2020
Venue: Hohepa – 23 Barrington Street, Christchurch (River end)
Sit and Sew is held in the Artemis activity Centre.
It is like a retreat in the city. We have the facility from 9:00am until 4:00pm.
What to bring: Lunch, a coffee mug, extension cord and multi-box. Sewing machine and all
associated things you need . Most importantly your charming personality.
Sit and Sew: Held each month, bring your own work and make sure you bring everything you need.
Mary – Jane Sneyd
Date: Unfortunately this class have been delayed until further notice.
Cost: $110 for members only
Class level: For intermediate quilters.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE ABLE TO DRAW.
I have never done art and I cannot draw to save myself.
Class size: Restricted to 10 people so each person gets individual attention.
• This is a technique class. I have chosen to make a hand because it is achievable and the techniques you learn can be applied to portraits, nudes etc.
• We will be making a hand from a photo (and associated patterns) that I will supply. (During the class I can tell you how to make your own patterns but using mine saves a lot of time.)
• The finished hand piece will be about 12″ X 12″.
• On day one we will learn about colour value and make the collage, and on the second day we will go over the sewing, the details and the finishing.
• It is much easier if you do NOT try to make a realistically coloured hand the first time. It is much easier to choose to make one of red or blue or green or grey or purple. Yellow and orange are much harder to work with.
• You will probably not have a finished hand at the end of the two days but you will have the instructions needed to complete it.
Scrappy Improv Class
Date: 16th May 2020
Time: 9.30 am – 4. pm
Venue: Hohepa , 23 Barrington Street, Cashmere, Christchurch
Cost: $30 for members
Attendees will begin to make the quilt top in the class, and will finish assembly in their own time, although Andrea will discuss finishing and quilting techniques, etc, on the day.
Quilt can be cot, single or double, it’s up to the individual, this process is very flexible!
The quilt can be made in any colours desired, although recommend two main contrasting colours (Andrea used yellow/orange and low volume/white). Fabrics definitely need to be contrasting, and in a colourway that pleases the eye of the maker. Attendees can bring scraps or FQs to class, and the tutor will teach fast ways of making these blocks so that we can make a number of them, enabling you to look at quilt composition on the day.
Bunnies by Griet Lombard
Christchurch Quilters Retreat 2020
Date: 17th July – 19th July 2020
Venue: Rangi Ruru School, Christchurch
Cost: Varies, please refer to registration form
Retreat will be a whole weekend sit and sew. A time to relax, sew in the company of like-minded people, finish UFOs, work on community quilts and share a laugh. Great opportunity to meet other members.
It will start with a dinner on Friday night. Then relax or back to sewing. The food is wonderful and the accommodation is very comfortable. You are not obligated to stay if you prefer not to.
This year our only class will be with Griet Lombard making her Bunnies